This content provides you with information to help you better understand the signs, symptoms, risk factors, detection techniques, treatment choices, and post-treatment support linked to Sleep Disorders.
We hope this content provided education and guidance. Remember to stay informed, make educated choices early, and speak to your health care team about any concerns. Also, you don’t have to face these challenges alone. Seek support from friends, family, support groups, and mental health professionals to navigate this journey.
1. Sleep Disorders: Conditions That Prevent You From Getting Restful Sleep. Cleveland Clinic. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/11429-sleep-disorders
2. How to Talk to Your Doctor About Your Sleep. Sleep Foundation. Published October 24, 2020. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-studies/how-to-talk-to-your-doctor-about-sleep
3. Sleep Disorders – Common Types, Symptoms, Treatments. Sleep Foundation. Published November 2, 2020. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders
4. Depression and Sleep. Sleep Foundation. Published September 18, 2020. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/mental-health/depression-and-sleep
5. Oh CM, Kim HY, Na HK, Cho KH, Chu MK. The Effect of Anxiety and Depression on Sleep Quality of Individuals With High Risk for Insomnia: A Population-Based Study. Front Neurol. 2019;10:849. doi:10.3389/fneur.2019.00849
6. Stress and sleep. https://www.apa.org. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2013/sleep
7. Shift Work Sleep Disorder (SWSD): Symptoms & Treatment. Cleveland Clinic. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/12146-shift-work-sleep-disorder
8. Parish JM. Genetic and Immunologic Aspects of Sleep and Sleep Disorders. Chest. 2013;143(5):1489-1499. doi:10.1378/chest.12-1219
9. Frange C, Banzoli CV, Colombo AE, et al. Women’s Sleep Disorders: Integrative Care. Sleep Sci. 2017;10(4):174-180. doi:10.5935/1984-0063.20170030
10. Tatineny P, Shafi F, Gohar A, Bhat A. Sleep in the Elderly. Mo Med. 2020;117(5):490-495.
11. The Official STOP-Bang Questionnaire Website. Accessed August 29, 2023. http://www.stopbang.ca/osa/screening.php
12. Sleep Study: What It Is, What To Expect, Types & Results. Cleveland Clinic. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/12131-sleep-study-polysomnography
13. Luyster FS, Choi J, Yeh CH, Imes CC, Johansson AEE, Chasens ER. Screening and Evaluation Tools for Sleep Disorders in Older Adults. Appl Nurs Res ANR. 2015;28(4):334-340. doi:10.1016/j.apnr.2014.12.007
14. Klingman KJ, Jungquist CR, Perlis ML. Introducing the Sleep Disorders Symptom Checklist-25: A Primary Care Friendly and Comprehensive Screener for Sleep Disorders. Sleep Med Res. 2017;8(1):17-25. doi:10.17241/smr.2017.00010
15. Okajima I, Miyamoto T, Ubara A, et al. Evaluation of Severity Levels of the Athens Insomnia Scale Based on the Criterion of Insomnia Severity Index. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(23):8789. doi:10.3390/ijerph17238789
16. Fabbri M, Beracci A, Martoni M, Meneo D, Tonetti L, Natale V. Measuring Subjective Sleep Quality: A Review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021;18(3):1082. doi:10.3390/ijerph18031082
17. Interpreting A Sleep Study. Sleep WA. Accessed August 29, 2023. https://www.sleepwa.com.au/interpreting-a-sleep-study/
18. Strawbridge WJ, Shema SJ, Roberts RE. Impact of Spouses’ Sleep Problems on Partners. Sleep. 2004;27(3):527-531. doi:10.1093/sleep/27.3.527
19. Wilson SJ, Jaremka LM, Fagundes CP, et al. Shortened sleep fuels inflammatory responses to marital conflict: Emotion regulation matters. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017;79:74-83. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.02.015
20. Richter K, Adam S, Geiss L, Peter L, Niklewski G. Two in a bed: The influence of couple sleeping and chronotypes on relationship and sleep. An overview. Chronobiol Int. 2016;33(10):1464-1472. doi:10.1080/07420528.2016.1220388
21. Cho JW, Duffy JF. Sleep, Sleep Disorders, and Sexual Dysfunction. World J Mens Health. 2019;37(3):261-275. doi:10.5534/wjmh.180045
22. Facts About Sleep: Debunking Myths. Sleep Foundation. Published November 4, 2020. Accessed August 11, 2023. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/myths-and-facts-about-sleep